About HIFU   Contact us   Treatments   Considering HIFU?   FAQ   Privacy Statement   CURRICULUM VITAE   HIFU VIDEO   VIDEO  
Date : 13-05-19 06:16     

CURRICULUM VITAE
June 15, 2013

Dr. Matthew Whang, MD, MBA

Office Address : Urology Group of New Jersey
1001 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ  07052

Office Phone # : 973 - 669 -8448
Office Fax # : 973 - 669 -9536

UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION
Duke University, Durham, N.C.
Dates: September 1979 to May 1983
Degree:  B.A. In Biochemistry

MEDICAL EDUCATION
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University
Dates:  September 1983 to May 1987
Degree:  Doctor of Medicine

POST GRADUATE EDUCATION
Intern, Surgery:  Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center 1987-1988
Resident, Surgery:  Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center 1988-1989
Resident, Urology:  Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center 1989-1993

MASTER IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
Rutgers University
Dates: September 2011 to May 2013
Degree: MBA

AWARDS AND HONORS
First Prize
Clinical Investigation
Ferdinand C. Valentine Urology Residents Essay Contest
April 10, 1991

Second Prize
Clinical Research
AUA/CIRCON ACMI Prize Essay Contest
AUA Convention, Toronto, Canada
June 19, 1991

First Prize
Clinical Investigation
Ferdinand C. Valentine Urology Residents Essay Contest
April 8, 1992  

Marquis Who’s Who in America  2008 & 2009 & 2010
Marquis Who’s Who in the World 2010
Marquis Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2009-2010

BOARD CERTIFICATION
Diplomate, American Board of Urology:  March 1995
Recertified February 2005

APPOINTMENTS
Director, Transplant Urology, Saint Barnabas Medical Center:  1999 to present
Chief, Section of Urology, Saint Barnabas Medical Center: 2009 -2011
Vice President, Urology Group of New Jersey 2012 - present

PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey: 1995 to present
The American Urologic Association, New York Section: 1995 to present
Fellow American College of Surgeons: 1996 to present
The Korean American Medical Association: 1996 to present
The Association of Korean American Medical Graduates: 1996 to present
Vice President, The Association of Korean American Medical Graduates: 1997, 1998
President, The Association of Korean American Medical Graduates:  1999, 2000
Chairman, Membership Committee, Korean American Medical Association:  1998, 1999
Chairman, Scientific and Education Committee, Korean American Medical Association:  1999
Associate Secretary General, Korean American Medical Association: 2000
Secretary General, Korean American Medical Association: 2001
Executive Vice President, Korean American Medical Association: 2002-2004
Member, Radiation Safety Advisory Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center: 1997
Member, Institute Review Board, St. Barnabas Medical Center: 1997 to present
Member, Graduate Medical Education Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center: 1997
Member, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2000.
Member, PAC committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 1999.
Member, Medical Advisory Board, Northfield Imaging Center
Member, Medical Advisory Board, The Sharing Network
Advisor, Urology Times 2000-2001
Society of Korean American Urologists (SKAU) – Board Member: 2007 to present

HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS
St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark, NJ
St. Clare’s Hospital, Dover, NJ

PUBLICATIONS

1. Benson, M.C., Giella, J.G., Whang, I.S., Buttyan, R., Hensle, T.W., Karp, F. and Olsson, C.A.:   Flow  Cytometric Determination of the Multidrug Resistant Phenotype in Transitional Cell Cancer of the Bladder:  Implications and Applications.   Journal of Urology  Vol. 146:  982-987, 1991.

2. Benson, M.C., Whang, I.S., Pantuk, A., Ring, K., Kaplan, S.A. and Olsson, C.A.:  Prostate Specific Antigen Density:  A means of distinguishing BPH and Prostate Cancer.  
Journal of Urology  Vol. 147:  815-816, 1992.

3.   Benson, M.C., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C.A., McMahon, D.J. and Cooner, W.C.:  The Use of Prostate Specific Antigen Density (PSAD) to Enhance the Predictive Value of Intermediate Levels of serum PSA.  Journal of Urology  Vol. 147:  817-821, 1992.

4. Whang, I.S. and Benson, M.C.:  Flow Cytometry in Urology.  In High Tech Urology:  Technical Innovations and Their Clinical Applications.  ed. Smith, J.  pp: 234-250.  W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1992.  

5. Whang, I.S. and Benson, M.C.:  Flow cytometry in Urologic Practice.  In Advances in Urology.  eds.  Lytton, B., Catalona, W.J., Lipshultz, L.I. and McGuire, E.J.  Vol. 5  pp. 11-32.  
Mosby-Year Book, Inc.  Chicago.  1992.

6. Whang, M.I.S., Walton, G.R. and Benson, M.C.:  Pheochromocytoma.  In Clinical Urology.  eds.  Krane, R.J., Siroky, M.B. and Fitzpatrick, J.M.  pp. 230-235. J.B. Lippincott, Inc.  1994.

7. Walton, G.R., Whang, I.S. and Benson, M.C.:  Pheochromocytoma.  In Current Therapy in Genitourinary Surgery.  eds.  Resnick, M. I. and Kursh, E.D.  Mosby-Year Book, Inc., St. Louis, 1992.

8. Olsson C.A. Kirsch, A.J. and Whang, M.I.S.: Rapid Construction of Right Colon pouch. Current Surgical Techniques  in Urology  Volume 6, Issue 3,  Ed.  Olsson, C.A. 1993.

9. Seaman, E., Whang, M., Olsson, C.A., Katz, A., Cooner, W.H. and Benson, M.C.:  PSA Density (PSAD) Urologic Clinics of North America  Volume 20 # 4, November 1993.

10. Seaman, E.K.  Whang, I. S., Cooner, W., Olsson, C.A. and Benson, M.C.:  Predictive Value of Prostate-Specific Antigen Density for the Presence of Micrometastatic Carcinoma of the Prostate.  Urology  Vol 43, No. 5  pp 645-648, 1994.

11. Whang, M., O'Toole, K., Bixon, R., Brunetti, J., Ikeguchi, E., Olsson, C.A., Sawczuk, I.S. and Benson, M.C.:  The Incidence of Multifocal Renal Cell Carcinoma in Patients who are Candidates for Partial Nephrectomy.  Journal of Urology.  154: 968 - 971, 1995

12. Glazier, D., Whang, M., Geffner, S et al:  Evaluation of Voiding Cystourethrography Prior to Renal Transplantation.  Transplantation.  62:1762 - 1765, 1996.
13.  Whang, M.:  Current Trends in the Management of Prostate Cancer . Journal of Korean American Medical Association, 3: 39, 1997.
14. Whang, M.:  Diagnosis and Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction. Journal of Korean American Medical Association, 4: 27, 1998.
15.  Glazier, D., Jacobs, M., Lyman, N., Whang, M., Manor, E., Mulgaonkar, S.:  Urinary tract infection associated with ureteral stents in renal transplantation.  The Canadian Journal of Urology, 5 (1) 1998.

16. Whang, M., and Burbige, K.:  Extra-adrenal Pheochromocytoma presenting with Headaches, Hypertension and Ureteral Obstruction. Journal of Korean American Medical Association, 5: 65-70, 1999.
17.  Whang, M., Katz, L., Ongcapin, E., Geffner, S., Friedman, G., Mulgaonkar, S., and Kaplan, B.: Nephrogenic Adenomas Occurring in a Patient with Simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas Transplant.  Urology  55:949iii-949v, 2000.

18.  Whang, M, Katz, L., Ongcapin, E., Geffner, S., Friedman, G., Mulgaonkar, S. and Kaplan, B.: Nephrogenic adenomas occurring in a patient with simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant. Review Series, Urology Issue 3/01; 21-22.

19.  Whang, M., Geffner, S., Khachikian, Z., Kumar, A., Bonomini, L. and Mulgaonkar, S. :  Renal Transplantation and Prostate Cancer: Guidelines for Screening and Treatment.  Transplantion Proceedings, 34, 3196 – 3199, 2002.

20.  Whang, M, Geffner, S., Baimeedi, S., Bonomini, L. and Mulgaonkar, S.:  Urologic Complications in Over 1000 Kidney Transplants Performed at The Saint Barnabas Healthcare System.  Transplantation Proceedings, 35, 1375-1377, 2003.

21. Whang, M.:  Prostate Cancer: Urologist’s View.  Journal of Korean American Medical Association,  2003.

22.  Whang, M, Yballe, M, Geffner, S, Fletcher, H, Palekar, S and Mulgaonkar, S.:  Urologic Complications in more than 2500 Kidney Transplantations Performed at the Saint Barnabas Health Care System. Transplantation Proceedings43, 1619 – 1622 (2011). 

ABSTRACTS

1.   Nagler, H., Whyte, J., Whang, I.S., and Kavey, N.:  The Association of Periodic Movement in Sleep and Organic Impotence.
AUA meeting 1987, Anaheim, Ca.

2.   Benson, M.C., Whang, I.S., Pantuk, A., Ring, K., Kaplan, S.A. and Olsson, C.A.:  Prostate Specific Antigen Density:  A means of distinguishing BPH and Prostate Cancer.  
AUA meeting 1991, Toronto, Canada.

3.   Giella, J.G., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C.A. and Benson, M.C.:
The Significance of Proliferative fraction as measured by the Ki-67 Antigen in Transitional Cell Cancer.
AUA meeting 1991, Toronto, Canada.

4.   Whang, I.S., Karp, F., Buttyan, R., Hensle, T.W., Olsson, C.A. and Benson, M.C.:  Flow Cytometric Determination of Multidrug Resistant (MDR-1) Phenotype in Transitional Cell Cancer of the Bladder.
AUA meeting 1992, Washington, D.C.

5.   Whang, I.S., O'Toole, K., Olsson, C.A. and Benson, M.C.:
The Incidence of Multifocal Renal Cell Carcinoma in Patients who are Candidates for Partial Nephrectomy.

6.   Benson, M.C., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C.A. and Cooner, W.H.:
Prostate Specific Antigen Density (PSAD):  Its Role in Interpreting Serum PSA Determinations.

7.   Karp, F., Benson, M.C., Whang, I.S., Buttyan, R., and Olsson, C.A.:  Intravesical BCG Modulates expression of the multidrug resistant (MDR-1) Phenotype in Transitional Cell Cancer of the Bladder.

8. Seaman, E., Kistler, S., Katz, A., Cooner, W., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C., Schiff, P. and Benson, M.C.:  The use of PSA Density to predict the outcome of radical prostatectomy and external radiation therapy.
AUA meeting 1993, San Antonio, Texas.

9. Seaman, E., Kistler, S., Katz, A., Cooner, W., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C. and Benson, M.C.:  The use of PSA Density to predict stage D-0 prostatic Carcinoma.

10. Seaman, E., Katz, A., Cooner, W., Whang, I.S., Olsson, C.A., Kistler, S. and Benson, M.C.:  An algorithm for Prostate Cancer Detection Based upon PSA, TRUS, DRE, PSA Density and PSA Velocity.

11.   Whang, M.I.S.:  Surgical Treatment of Ureteral Obstruction after Renal Transplant.  Transplant Society of New Jersey Meeting 1994,  Newark, N.J.

12.   Whang, M.I.S.: and Glazier, D.:  Comparison of Ureteroneocystostomy techniques at the time of Kidney Transplant:  Lich-Gregoir vs. Politano-Leadbetter.  Transplant Society of New Jersey Meeting, 1996,  Livingston, N.J.

13.    Glazier, D., Whang, M.I.S., Geffner, S. et al.  Evaluation of Voiding Cystourethrogram Prior to Renal Transplantation.  Transplant Society of New Jersey Meeting, 1996, Livingston, N.J.
14.    Whang, M.:  Current Trends in the Management of Prostate Cancer.  KAMA convention 1996.
15.    Whang, M.:  Diagnosis and Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction. KAMA convention 1997.

16.    Whang, M,  Friedman, G, Geffner, S, and Mulgaonkar, S: Transplantation and Prosate Cancer: Guidelines for Screening and Treatment, American Society of Transplant meeting, May 2000.

17.   Whang, M.: New Advances in the Treatment of Sexual Dysfunction.  KAMA convention 2002.

18.  Whang, M.: Prostate Cancer: Urologist’s View.  KAMA Convention 2003.

19.  Whang, M, Geffner, S, Fletcher, H and Mulgaonkar, S.:  Urologic Complications in Over 2000 Kidney Transplants Performed at the Saint Barnabas Healthcare System.  American College of Surgeons Convention 2008.   

Contact us | HOME |  matthew whang facebook  matthew whang youtube  matthew whang twitter 

ABOUT HIFU About HIFU |  Contact us |  Treatments |  Considering HIFU? |  FAQ |  Privacy Statement |  CURRICULUM VITAE |  HIFU VIDEO |  VIDEO | 
UROLOGY Publications |  Surgery Photos |  No-Scalpel Vasectomy |  Impotence |  Laparoscopic Surgery |  Dr. Whang's Blog |  Transplant experience | 
Dr. Matthew Whang Urology Group of New Jersey | 1001 Pleasant Valley Way, West Orange, NJ 07052 | Tel.: ( 973) 669-8448 I Fax: (973) 669- 9536
Copyright 2013. All right reserved. Dr. Matthew Whang